Nigeria: Five New Suspected Ebola Cases
The Lagos State Government yesterday disclosed that its contact tracing team had discovered five additional suspected cases of Ebola virus, which were brought in on Tuesday, adding that it had not foreclosed new cases.
Of the new unconfirmed cases discovered in the state, the state government said three had primary contact with the Liberian-American, Mr. Patrick Sawyer, while two others were secondary contacts.
The Commissioner for Health, Dr. Jide Idris, gave the update at a news conference he addressed at the Bagauda Kaltho Press Centre, Alausa, Lagos, alongside his Special Duties and Information and Strategy counterparts, Dr. Wale Ahmed and Mr. Aderemi Ibirogba, among others.
The health commissioner explained that the five new cases “have been referred to the isolation centre located at the Infectious Disease Hospital (IDH) in Yaba” for further clinical check-up and treatment.
Idris said: “To date, we have recorded eight suspected cases. Five of the suspected cases came in on Tuesday. Twelve cases had been confirmed earlier and five died. We are currently following up 213 contacts and 62 have been discharged.”