Morocco Booted from AFCON
Cape Town – Morocco have been dropped by CAF as hosts of the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) on Tuesday, with the national side was flung out of the competition after the country said it wanted to postpone the tournament due to fears over the Ebola epidemic.
The decision was taken during a six-hour meeting of the CAF executive committee at its Cairo headquarters.
Morocco has said since early October that its call for a postponement was “dictated by health reasons of the most dangerous kind, linked to the serious risk of the spread of the deadly Ebola pandemic.”
CAF called on the Moroccans to change their minds, but decided at Tuesday’s meeting that the response they had been given “clearly indicates that the Royal Moroccan Football Federation reiterated its refusal to hold the competition on the dates indicated”
“Therefore, having firmly and unanimously notified on 3 November its decision to keep the competition on the dates indicated, the executive committee confirmed that the Africa Cup of Nations 2015 will not take place in Morocco.”