Mali Reports First Ebola Death, 2-Year-Old
DAKAR, Senegal — The little girl who became Mali’s first Ebola case has died after a bus journey across two countries that probably exposed dozens of people to the virus, her family, officials and Malian news websites said Friday afternoon.
Shortly before her death was announced, the World Health Organization warned that the 2-year-old girl had been bleeding from the nose when her grandmother picked her up in Guinea for a trip across hundreds of miles to Mali. That trip, health officials suggested in unusually blunt language, poses a significant risk for both nations, but especially Mali, which has now become the sixth West African nation to record a case of the disease.
“W.H.O. is treating the situation in Mali as an emergency,” the agency said in a news release Friday afternoon. “The child’s symptomatic state during the bus journey is especially concerning, as it presented multiple opportunities for exposures — including high-risk exposures — involving many people.”
Dozens of contacts are now being traced, but it is unlikely that everybody who encountered the child on public transportation will be identified.