How First Biracial Miss Japan Is Handling the Critics
First ever mixed race Miss Japan forced to defend herself after being abused for ‘not being Japanese enough’ because father is African-American
- Ariana Miyamoto was born and raised in Nagasaki, and is fluent Japanese
- Mixed race beauty queen born to American father and Japanese mother
- She has been selected to represent Japan in the Miss Universe pageant
- But her selection has prompted a storm of criticism in Japanese media
- 20-year-old has been forced to insist that she is ‘Japanese on the inside’
The first ever mixed race Miss Japan has been forced to defend herself against accusations that she ‘isn’t Japanese enough’ because her father is African-American.
Ariana Miyamoto was born and raised in Nagasaki, speaks fluent Japanese, and has been chosen to represent Japan in the Miss Universe pageant.
But the 20-year-old beauty queen used her first television appearance after her selection to apologetically explain to reporters that while she doesn’t ‘look Japanese’ on the outside, on the inside, there are ‘many Japanese things about her’.