Dozens More Girls Kidnapped by Nigerian Extremists
MAIDUGURI, Nigeria (AP) — Dozens of girls and young women are being abducted by Islamic extremists in northeast Nigeria, raising doubts about an announced cease-fire and the hoped-for release of 219 schoolgirls held captive since April.
On Oct. 17, Nigeria’s military said a cease-fire had been agreed to with Boko Haram and ordered troops to immediately comply. Officials said the cease-fire would lead to the speedy release of the girls kidnapped from a boarding school in the remote northeastern town of Chibok on April 15.
But there have been a number of kidnappings and battles since then that call into question the cease-fire.
At least 70 young women and teenage girls and boys have been kidnapped in Borno and Adamawa states since Oct. 18, according to local government chairman Shettima Maina and residents who spoke on condition of anonymity because they feared retribution.